Friday, June 10, 2005

Genuine Options

"I'm honestly very uncomfortable with the 'let's just adopt a deity until something better comes along' approach."

As William James would say it, then that's not a genuine option for you and I wouldn't recommend it.

But as I see it, neither side has all the evidence for it and I see keeping the question open as simply a desire not to be wrong. So as the evidence is not conclusive either way and I see both as genuine options I can only rely on non-evidential reasoning to decide.

This hardly means the discussion is over and that we should stop looking for higher truths, but it does justify having belief in something that the evidence does not strictly support.

Keep in mind that one can just as easily use this reasoning to support the atheistic approach as well.

No comments: